DID YOU KNOW
Yaya Toure’s hat-trick on Saturday was the 3rd hat-trick conceded by Fulham this season. This stat now ties them with 1994/95 Ipswich, 1995/96 Coventry City, and 1997/98 Bolton Wanderers for conceding the most hat-tricks in one EPL season with 3. (This paragraph has a hat-trick of hat-trick mentions).
All three of said hat-tricks have come in past two months, since Adam Johnson netted his in mid-January. This is worse than Bolton and Coventry who each conceded their hat-tricks over a 3 month span, yet better than Ipswich who conceded their three hat-tricks in just a month. (Ouch. And another paragraph with three hat-trick mentions!)
Ultimately, Ipswich finished bottom (22nd at the time), Coventry 16th (survived on GD, somehow), and Bolton 18th (relegated on GD). We’re probably going to finish somewhere thereabouts.
We could nuance the point away and look at who scored each of the hat-tricks:
- Yaya Toure (cost City £24m–double our transfer fee record–and arguably Ivory Coast’s best player)
- André Schürrle (cost Chelsea £18m, wunderkind)
- Adam Johnson (doesn’t live up to hype/ego, but still cost Sunderland £10m)
Or look at the following chart from Sporting Intelligence (based on 12/13 and even 11/12 accounts) and somehow be surprised this hasn’t happened more often against the bigger teams (blue is transfer fees/yellow is wages):
But if there’s one silver lining to this turd: we’re not as bad as 2007/08 Derby County. And here’s how:
- Fewest points in a season (11, we’re at 24)
- They only won once (we’re at 7)
- Kept just 3 clean sheets all season (we have 4!)
- Had the worst GD in EPL history (-69; we’re at -40)
- Conceded the most in 38 game season (89; we’re at 70)